How do you share your photos with family and friends? Do you hand off your iPhone or iPad to be passed around from person to person? Apple has made it much easier to share your photos by inviting people to view albums you create in iCloud Photo Sharing.
As more photos are added, the invitees get a notification that new photos have been added and then can view them. In addition, there’s a permission area that allows you to permit the people you share with to add photos of their own, “like” a photo, or even write a comment about a photo.
Creating shared albums is more simple than uploading images to Facebook or Instagram and more secure. The videos and photos are private between your group, and you can revoke access at any time. In addition, you have the option to make your album public on iCloud.com, so anyone with a link can view it. Your Android friends won’t miss out!
How to Turn On iCloud Photo Sharing
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad
- Scroll and tap on Photos
- Toggle on the Shared Albums Switch
Note: Since Photo Sharing is an Apple iCloud Service, you need to be signed in to your iCloud account on your device.
Creating a Shared Photo Album
The first thing you need to do is set up a new shared album.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad
- Select Albums along the bottom of the screen
- Tap the + in the upper left corner
- Choose New Shared Album
- Title the Album
- Tap next
- Now start inviting people to subscribe to your shared album
Inviting People to Your Shared Photo Album
You’ll invite people first, and then we’ll start adding photos to share. Invite people by typing in their email address or iMessage phone number into the box, or tap the + to the right to access your contacts list.
Now tap on Create, and we have our first shared album.
Note: To share an album with family or friends who don’t use iCloud. Open a shared album, click on the People button in the toolbar, turn on Public Website. The photos will publish on a website for anyone to see as long as they have the link to access them.
Settings for a Shared Album
After creating the album, it’s a good idea to check the settings.
- Open the album and tap on people(top right corner).
- Subscribers Can Post: allows subscribers of this shared album to add their photos to the album
- Notifications: you’ll get notified when subscribers like, comment, or add photos to the album
- Tap Done to return to the Shared Albums screen.
Adding Photos To A Shared Album
Now let’s add some photos.
- Tap on the shared album you just created
- Tap the + icon
- Select the photos to share
- Tap Done
- Add a description if you like
- Now tap Post
The photos will now appear in your shared album, and people who subscribe to that album will be able to see the shared photos.
Like and Comment on Photos
If you think a photo looks excellent, tap the like icon at the bottom right corner to let, others know.
To add a comment to a photo, tap Add A Comment at the bottom of the screen. Then, type your comment and tap send.
Note: If you’ve already liked a photo and want to add a comment, you’ll need to touch the screen and pull up.Now you’ll see the comment section.
Save Photos From A Shared Album
If you want to save a photo to the Photos app on your device.
- Select the Photo you want to save
- Tap the Share icon
- Scroll and then tap on Save Image
The image will now be saved on your device as well as in the shared iCloud album. Other subscribers will be able to save photos as well.
Deleting a Photo From A Shared Album
If you want to remove a photo from the shared album:
- Select the Photo you want to delete
- Tap on the trash can in the upper right corner
- Now tap Delete Photo
When you remove a photo, it gets deleted from the shared album on all your devices and the subscriber’s devices. The original Photo will remain on your device in its original location.
Removing A Subscriber
Maybe you want to remove a subscriber from the shared album.
- Open the shared album
- Tap on the People icon
- The list of subscribers will be listed at the top
- Tap the subscriber you want to remove
- Now tap Remove
This person will no longer have access to the shared album.
Deleting a Shared Album
In the Shared Albums screen:
- Tap edit at the top right corner
- Tap the red circle with the – sign
- Now Tap Delete
The album and the photos will be deleted from all devices and subscribers. However, you will not lose the original photos on your device.
What’s excellent about iCloud Photo Sharing is that the photos and videos in the shared album don’t count against your iCloud storage limit. So, you don’t need to worry about upgrading your iCloud storage plan.
You can share up to 200 albums, and each album can contain a maximum of 5000 photos or videos.
Start using iCloud Photo Sharing today!
If you’re having issues with your iPhone or iPad sign up for my Free Consult.