Credit cards are the universal way to pay, whether you’re shopping online or at the local grocery store. Apple Pay may be a great solution if you use a credit or debit card. Apple Pay lets you store credit, debit, and rewards cards on your Apple device. In this guide, I’ll show you how to set up and use Apple Pay for purchases in-store or online.
Why Use Apple Pay
Apple Pay is safer than using physical credit or debit cards. Because your card number and identity aren’t shared with merchants, and your actual card numbers aren’t stored on your device or Apple servers. They are giving you a secure and contactless way to make payments.
How to Add Cards to the iPhone and iPad
You can add eight cards to Apple Pay and use them across various devices. If you want to use Apple Pay on more than one device, you must add card information separately for each device. You must also have Touch ID, Face ID, or a passcode set up. If you don’t, you will be prompted to set that up before continuing with the steps below.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Wallet & Apple Pay
- If you haven’t added any cards, tap on the +sign to add your first card.
- If you want to add another card, tap on Add Card.
- Tap Continue after reading.
- Position your card in the frame or choose Add Manually. Tap next
- Add your expiration date, and type in your three-digit security code.
- When finished, the Adding Card screen appears as Apple Pay communicates with you to verify the information.
- The Card Verification Screen will appear, showing your email address and phone number. Tap Next
- You can verify your card via phone or immediately. You may be prompted with a code that may involve a short call with your bank.
It took me less than 5 minutes to add and verify mine. I was also prompted on my Apple watch once verification was complete.
How to Add Cards to Apple Watch
Adding a new card to your watch is essentially the same as the steps above. Follow along with these steps.
- Open the Watch App
- Choose My Watch
- Tap Wallet & Apple Pay
- Choose Add Card. If you’ve already added your card on your iPhone tap Add next to the card.
- You may be asked to set up a passcode or to type it in if you have one. I usually opt for the simple four-digit passcode.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your card.
- The Card verification screen will appear; tap next.
- After verifying the information, tap Next, and you’ll receive a notification when your card is ready to use on your Apple Watch.
Adding a Pass to Wallet
You may be asked to add a pass within an app or after purchasing a ticket for an event. For example, you can tap Add to Apple Wallet when you see it from the following.
- Mail or Messages
- Wallet enabled apps
- Wallet Notification
- QR Code or Barcode
To scan a code, open the Camera app, and position the code, so it appears on the screen. To view your passes open the Wallet app.
How To Use Apple Pay in Stores
Apple Pay-friendly stores usually have a logo on the door or near the register. To use Apple Pay, you’ll need your iPhone or Apple Watch and your passcode if you don’t have Face ID or Touch ID set up.
- With Touch ID, place your finger on the Home Button and hold the iPhone about 1 inch from the reader. You’ll see Done along with a checkmark.
- With Face ID, Double-tap the side button and glance at your iPhone. Hold the phone close to the reader until you are done, and a checkmark appears.
Note: If you’re wearing a face mask, iOS 15.4 has you covered. You can unlock your iPhone even when wearing a mask. To check or turn on this feature:
- Open Settings
- Tap Face ID & Passcode
- Toggle on the switch next to Face ID with a Mask; you can add glasses too
How To Use Apple Pay in apps
There are a growing number of apps that accept Apple Pay. You’ll see a button if Apple Pay is available while checking out. To make a payment:
- Tap on the Apple Pay button
- Rest your finger on the Home Button on your iPhone or iPad with Touch ID. Double click on the side button on your iPhone or iPad with Face ID.
- On your Apple Watch double, click on the side button.
You should see the “Done” confirmation and a checkmark when the process is complete.
Once you make a few payments using Apple Pay, you’ll wonder why you hadn’t used it sooner. It’s easy, fun, and secure!
Need help with your device? I’m always available for a Free Consult.
Like Video instead? Head to my YouTube channel for more great tips.