Seniors if you have an iPhone or iPad and are not fully acquainted with Apple Notes app, this guide will turn you into a Pro! Apple Notes is a great place for keeping lists, jotting down ideas, writing in long-form, drawing sketches, and it syncs with iCloud. So everything will be available on all your devices.
Apple is constantly adding new features, and sometimes it’s hard to keep up. For example, maybe you didn’t know that the Search feature recognizes typed or handwritten texts, images, and scanned documents. You can even collaborate with others.
How To Create a New Note on the iPhone or iPad
Creating note starts by:
- Launching the Notes app
- Tap Add Note (the pencil and paper icon in the bottom right corner)
- Use the on-screen keyboard to type a note
- When finished tap done
- Tap on Notes in the upper left corner to return to the Notes Home Screen
By default, the first few words of the note will become the title and will be assigned a date (or time).
How To Format Your Apple Notes
To make your note more visually appealing, you can format the text. For example, you can use a note already written by selecting the text and then tapping on Aa. To format a note.
- Launch Notes app
- Tap Add Note
- Select Aa to reveal text-formatting options
Creating a Checklist in Apple Notes
Creating a checklist is easy and fun.
- Open an existing note or create a new one.
- Tap anywhere in the note to reveal the keyboard
- Existing note: highlight the text for the checklist; select the checkmark icon to add a circle in front of the selected items. Boom! Now you have a checklist.
- New Note: tap on the checkmark icon and begin your checklist
- Tap Return on the Keyboard to keep adding items
- When finished tap Done
Note: if you see a + icon above the keyboard, tap to reveal the formatting tools.
How to Draw in the Apple Notes App
If you’re a more visual person, you can add sketches to your notes. In an open note, tap on the pen icon above the keyboard to reveal the drawing options. The options may differ depending on what version of iOS you’re using. The options include:
Color– choose the color wheel and select your color of choice.
Tools– Choose from a pencil, marker, pen, eraser, lasso tool, and ruler.
Undo and Redo– To Undo a change or redo it, tap on the curved arrows next to the Done button.
Expand the Space– Use 2 fingers to drag the page up to add more space as you draw or sketch. Tap Done when finished.
Lines & Grids– Tap on the More icon (the circle with three dots) to add lines or grids to a note.
Add an Attachment in the Notes App
You can add more than text to your notes. For example, when you want to reference other information quickly, you can attach a file, photo, document, or video.
- Open a Note
- Tap inside the body of the note
- Select the Camera button
- Choose Photo or Video, Take Photo or Video, you can also Scan Documents
To add something from another app, like a website or location, tap on the Share button in the app you want to share. Tap the Notes app, then select the note you want to add and attachment to, then tap Save.
- If you’re in the Notes List, tap the yellow < arrow to see your Folders list
- Tap New Folder
- Enter a Name tap save
To create a subfolder:
Drag the folder you want to be a subfolder to the main folder. It will move below the main folder and be indented.
Move a Note to a different folder:
- In the notes list, tap on the More button, then tap Select Notes
- Tap the notes you want to move
- Select Move, then select the folder you want to move them to
Delete A Note or Folder
- Swipe to the left on any note or folder
- Tap on the Trash button
You can also open the note, tap on the More button, and select delete.
To recover a deleted note, go to the Folders list and tap Recently Deleted. Tap the note you want to keep, then tap Recover
Sharing Your Apple Notes
You can invite people to collaborate on your iCloud notes and folders. Partner on projects, trips, or even grocery lists—my favorite use is keeping track of someone’s medication list.
You can add someone to any iCloud Note or an Entire folder of notes on your device.
You must connect your device to the internet to keep your notes up to date across your devices. So when you check off an item or update a note, everyone sharing that note will see the most recent version.
Add someone to a note:
- Open the iCloud note you want to share
- Tap the more button, then tap Share Note
- Choose how you’d like to send the invitation. Then select the person or persons you want to share with
- Depending on how you share, you may need to tap Send
To add more people, open the iCloud note. If you’re already sharing the note, you’ll see the Add People button at the top of the note.
Add someone to a folder:
- Go to your Folders list
- Swipe left over the folder
- Tap the Add People button
- Choose how you’d like to share the invitation, select the person or persons to collaborate with
- Tap Send if necessary
The Notes app is straightforward. It can be helpful in many situations. Such as sharing a medication list with a family member, setting up a trip, sharing a grocery list. I’m sure you’ll find many more uses.
If you have any questions or need help with the Notes app, drop a message in the comments section, and I’ll do my best to help you out.
If I can help you with any problems or issues with your device, sign up for a FREE one-time consult. Just CLICK HERE.